06 July 2013
I've been away for quite a while, but I've been working on a lot of different and new things. Mainly trying to find new paints that will work better for my use on feathers. The feathers have a challenging texture to work with, never mind the thinness.After a lot of experimenting and a trip to the art shop, I found what seems to be a perfect match! This is only a single coat of paint, compared to the normal 2 or more of the past feathers. Its so exciting!
There are so many different types of paint to go through, and so many different brands. And the prices go from $1.50 to $20 for a little tube. So experimenting can get quite pricey if there's not a good way to bring the choices down. What I've settled on is a type of gouache, which has a relation to acrylics. It has so much more pigment! The yellows are the most impressive with this one!
I've also given a few new brushes a shot from Beste. They're still very tiny, with most of them going from 0 to 10/0. It may just be my excitement, but they seem to be able to give me a bit finer of lines with a bit more reliability (as in the dragonfly wings)